Sunday, May 24, 2009

Making a living

One of the thoughts that occupy me is how can one make a living in an eco-friendly and sustainable way. I wont go over-board and over-idealistic, consider me a middle-of-the-road guy. I am not anti- progress or anti-industrialization, however I keep thinking...there must be a way...


necklace


Several years ago while teaching a course in Armenia I found a student wearing a necklace made of dried coconuts! Don't take it lightly, the necklace belonged to her grandmother and was 40 YEARS OLD!! I remember when we were young we were fascinated by the "Kunni" seed കുന്നി കുരു (Arbus Precatorius).




The Kunni Kuru is often collected along with Manjadi Kuru ( മഞ്ചാടി കുരു ) Adenanthera pavonina
. We used to make necklaces out of them. This led me to wonder about using other seeds... and guess what I found? A website dedicated to Botanical Jewellery. Now all I have to do is to find buyers.



Btw, did you know that the Kunni Kuru was used to measure Gold and there were even gold coins based on the weight of a Kunni Kuru? But watch out, they are poisonous!





Adenanthera pavonina മഞ്ചാടി കുരു

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will go online after I check it for spam and objectionable content. Please be patient.